Thursday, February 12, 2015

Why this diet is so hard

I'm on day 11 and this STINKS!!!! It's not the food itself, it's the work that has to go into everything just to eat a meal (or snack). There has to be clean dishes, space on the stove to cook, and room to chop produce every time I want to eat. That may not seem like a big deal, but we have six people in our family with a VERY small kitchen, barely any counter space, a dishwasher that only cleans the dishes when you've cleaned them by hand first, and many pots and pans that can only be hand washed. Which means that just for me to be able to eat one meal dishes have to be done three or four times a day. (My excema covered hands aren't enjoying that very much.)

Even if dishes weren't such a big deal there's the food prep itself. If I had tons of extra time on the weekends or evenings, I could prep everything ahead of time, but the time isn't there. Plus, there's the fatigue. I get tired really easily. Chopping lots of veggies is exhausting for me. My arms tire easily, and I simply can't do it for long enough to get a week's worth of food ready. Which means I would need to do it every evening for the following day. Easy right? Except evenings tend to be difficult for my kids. They become really clingy and want Mommy to sit and snuggle. (How can I say no to that?) Plus, with their special needs, I don't want them to become anxious and overwhelmed because Mommy doesn't have the time to sit with them and spend time with them before bed. If they do become anxious or overwhelmed, it can take an extra hour just to get them in bed and maybe to sleep. 

We're a homeschooling family. The more time I have to spend washing dishes, prepping food, cooking meals, and eating; the less time there is for me to teach. That's not going to work. Not to mention the two year old that needs constant supervision and has a severe case of the "terrible twos". 

Then there are all the cravings. I know I was eating and drinking things that I shouldn't have been. I really like soda and chocolate. I rarely would have cake or brownies, or ice cream; and when I did it had to be gluten and dairy free and yet I still crave them (especially around Valentines Day and my wedding anniversary. The past few days I've really been craving soda, chocolate, and a bowl of cereal. :-/ Things that I can't have on the elimination diet. 

Right now, this STINKS! I don't know for sure if I'll be able to keep this up. The time, energy, and money it takes to complete this diet may just be more than I have to give. I know it has great potential to help me get healthier and not have all these physical problems anymore, but if I can't find the time to actually eat that's not healthy either. 

I want to end this post with a question to other homeschooling moms who have jobs or go to school while homeschooling, how to you juggle it alll? I really need your ideas on how to make this work. 

2 comments:

  1. Just one suggestion that might help you out, get your oldest to help with the vegetable preparation as part of a daily task. One, it would really help you out in a big way. Two, it would be good for him to start. My oldest was about that age when I started him on food preparation in the kitchen. It would be very beneficial for the kids to know how to cook and they have to start somewhere. I wouldn't suggest that you trust the girls with knives yet, but your oldest would develop some skills over time and I think that he easily could handle it (with maybe a little bit of monitoring as he is just starting out).

    I do fresh vegetables nearly every day, it's rare for me to even use a can, and I am pretty fast in preparing fresh veggies, but that's only because of years of practice doing it. You should see how fast I can snap beans just from years of having a garden. ;-) I'd consider having him start out now. It'd be good for him, it'd help you, and who knows, maybe you'll end up with another chef in the family. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we are living in the RV with 6 of us and a small RV kitchen, I resort to paper plates. I know it adds a little expense, but the time it saves me and the space it saves from not having extra dirty dishes to deal with is worth it to me.
    Also, if you are going to make this diet work, you HAVE to eat! Put your meal as a priority, and you'll feel better for everything else.
    I also agree with the previous post about having your oldest prep the veggies.
    When I have done a juice diet, or some other super health eating plan that differs from what the rest of the family is eating, I will usually make their meals really simple (ie. Beans and ham in the crock pot) so I'm not overwhelmed with too much cooking. Sometimes I have even had the kids make their own peanut butter and jelly sandwiches so I don't have to smell the food and cause the temptations that come with the delicious smells of foods I couldn't have.

    ReplyDelete