Monday, June 22, 2015

reading for fun

I love reading, but being a homeschooling mother of four, I hardly find the time to read for pleasure. I find time to read to my kids and read books/magazines about homeschooling, but not a lot of time to read for pleasure. Since reading is very important for children and adults, I'm working on finding the time to read just for fun. Reading aloud and modeling reading help children see that reading can be a fun way to learn and spend leisure time. Once kids think reading can be fun, they'll read more often and quickly find that reading allows them travel to far away places (including fantastical places), travel to the the future and back in time, meet new people (both real and fictitious), and so much more. Unfortunately,  I find myself easily engaged in other things rather than reading, so when I was given the chance to read and had a purpose to do it; I was thrilled! (Sometimes I need a little "kick in the pants" to do what I know I should.)

A few weeks ago my friend April Erwin gave me that kick in the pants. She asked for people who would be interested in reading her two newest books and giving an honest review of each book. It seemed like a great idea since we're doing very little school work right now, and I have missed reading books. (It also gives me a chance to get back to blogging.) I'm excited to be reading more of April's books and to give my children a good example of reading for fun!

So be on the lookout this summer for book reviews for young and older. I'm thrilled to spend more time reading for fun and reading to my children. I hope you enjoy my reading for fun series this summer! Be sure to do some reading yourself, and share your thoughts on the books you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment