Saturday, January 24, 2015

Choices, choices, choices: We choose health

So my DH and I came to the decision that we're going to try the comprehensive elimination diet to see if that will ease my symptoms and possibly take away whatever the illness is that I have. We know that there are other diets (GAPS and BED to name two), and if this one doesn't work, I might try one of those.

So my kind and loving DH doesn't want me to go through this diet alone, so he's going to do it with me. :-) We'll probably make some of the meals for the entire family, so the kids will get to try some new foods and recipes. (At this point, they won't be doing the diet. If we find it helpful for me, we may try it with them too.)

This next week, the plan is to put together recipes and a menu. I'll be keeping my eyes out for specials on produce, fish, seafood and other diet options to help us stick to our budget. Then we'll go buy the necessary foods and start the diet in couple of weeks.

If that seems like a while to wait, let me explain how difficult it can be to find recipes on the exclusion diet. First of all, there are many exclusion diets out there; although they are similar, they simply aren't the same. Frequently, there are ingredients in those recipes that I can't have on this diet. Some of them are probably easy to modify, others not so much. There aren't a lot of recipes out there that fit this particular diet, so it could take some time and digging to find what I need. So I'll be going through different cookbooks and recipes online this next week to make a grocery list and menu. I'm also looking at trying to grow some vegetables and herbs at home to help make this diet more affordable for our family.

This is a daunting task, and because of that I thought I would take my readers through the process with us. If you're interested in the diet, new recipes, tips on making meals more affordable, or just want to see if it works for me; I'd love to have you join us on this journey.

I'm really hoping this diet works. It would be a huge blessing and relief to our family if I was healthy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment